Click to open a panorama
In the 1920’s, in the days before 4×4 all terrain vehicles, Duchal Moor grouse railway was built in the hills above Kilmacolm and Lochwinnoch. Its purpose was to transport shooting parties around the grouse moor belonging to brothers Sir James Lithgow (1883 – 1952) and Henry Lithgow (1886 – 1948). The Lithgows were shipbuilders and steel producers. It remained in use until the 1970’s when it was abandoned. Parts of this narrow gauge railway can still be found, though most has either been removed or remains hidden in the boggy moorland and heather.