Duchal Moor Grouse Railway

Click to open a panorama

Duchal Moor Grouse Railway

Duchal Moor Grouse Railway Duchal Moor Grouse Railway

In the 1920’s, in the days before 4×4 all terrain vehicles, Duchal Moor grouse railway was built in the hills above Kilmacolm and Lochwinnoch. Its purpose was to transport shooting parties around the grouse moor belonging to brothers Sir James Lithgow (1883 – 1952) and Henry Lithgow (1886 – 1948). The Lithgows were shipbuilders and steel producers. It remained in use until the 1970’s when it was abandoned. Parts of this narrow gauge railway can still be found, though most has either been removed or remains hidden in the boggy moorland and heather.

____________________________________

Arria – Sculpture by Andy Scott

Arria - Sculpture by Andy ScottClick on the image above to open a Panorama Tour in a New Window

Arria, a sculpture by Andy Scott, stands on the outskirts of Cumbernauld, overlooking the busy A80 and positioned to be visible to the passing traffic.
Commissioned by the Campsies Centre Cumbernauld Ltd (CCCL), a company established by North Lanarkshire Council to help redevelopment, it is intended become a symbol for the town and change its perception.
A new poem by Jim Carruth, “Watershed”, is inscribed around the base, encouraging visitors to walk around the sculpture.

WATERSHED (Comar nan Allt)
by Jim Carruth

The first sounds spoken

from the spring’s core

are of a new beginning

of people and place

a poetry that bubbles

and gargles to the surface

to leave this watershed

flow east and west

in a rush of words

that tumble and fall

to join the conversations

of two great rivers

a voice calling out

I belong I belong

adding to the language

of sea and ocean.

____________________________________

Ballantyne, Caerlee Mill, Innerleithen

Ballantyne, Caerlee Mill, Innerleithen
Click on the image above to open a Panorama Tour in a New Window

Ballantyne, Caerlee Mill, was one of Scotland’s oldest cashmere companies with roots traceable back to 1820 and earlier. Such was the reputation of the goods produced here that the generic name for a cashmere jumper in Italy is a “Ballantyne”. Exclusive clothing was also crafted here by the “Intarsia” method, an intricate and time consuming hand method which can produce detailed one off designs

____________________________________

RAF Wigtown Battle HQ

wigton

Click on the image above to open a 360′ Panorama Tour in a new window

World War 2 RAF airfields were defended against invasion from enemy troops, most likely paratroopers, by a network of anti aircraft guns, pillboxes, trenches, and barbed wire.

The Battle HQ was intended to be the position from which the immediate defence of the airfield could be coordinated, directing counter fire and organising troops. It was not intended to be a firing position itself, and consisted of number of underground rooms – runners and messengers room, PBX room, office, observation room, and toilet. Only the top section of the observation room was above ground, it had a narrow slit running right round the circumference, about 1 foot above ground level, providing a 360 degree view.

This battle HQ, now about 70 years old, sits on a small hill overlooking RAF Wigtown in Dumfries and Galloway, right beside farm buildings. The airfield is visible beyond the row of trees which line the road, the control tower just to the right of the trees, beside the hanger-type building which replaced an original hanger.

Click and drag on the image below to view a model of the Battle HQ

____________________________________

Darvel Telephone Museum

 Darvel Telephone MuseumClick on the image above to open a Panorama Tour in a New Window Flash Player required

Max Flemmich MBE has created an absolute gem of a telephone museum in the former bakery beside his home in Darvel, Ayrshire. After spending his working life with G.P.O. Telephones and B.T. installing telephones and exchanges in all kinds of homes and premises his unbridled enthusiasm for his work demonstrably continues. He has working switchboards which connect the many different types of phones from through the years, and his interest coupled with his sense of humour provide an entertaining and enlightening experience.

____________________________________

Selkirk Common Riding

 Selkirk Common RidingClick on the image above to open a Panorama Tour in a New Window. Flash Player required

The people of Selkirk, on the border of Scotland and England, annually celebrate elements of their history by riding out of the town and around its boundaries.
The main day starts at 4am when a Flute Band rouses the Provest and The Standard Bearer. Then follows a series of marches, ceremonies, singing and horse riding, culminating in a flag ceremony, the “Casting of the Colours”, in Market Square just before lunch time.
Uniquely among the Border Towns the ancient craft and trade flags are paraded.
The event is always busy and this year over 360 horse riders participated in this very traditional and heart warming occasion.

____________________________________

Andy Scott. Glasgow Studio

Sculpture by Andy Scott

Click on the image above to open a Panorama Tour in a new window.
Click and drag on the Panorama to move around.
Click the Fullscreen button to go Fullscreen. Flash Player required.

Principally producing sculpture in steel and bronze to commission, Andy Scott’s first major work was the, now iconic, Heavy Horse, unveiled in 1997, which stands beside the M8 on the way into Glasgow. With about 50 sculptures in the UK he also has a significant number of works in Australia and several on the European mainland.

Toiling away, working with steel, this is heavy, physical work. Cutting, bending and welding the material evokes memories of the noise and distinctive hot smell of shipyard skills which have left The Clyde – the noise of the arc welder, the air loaded with that special kind of electric aroma, and clanking of metal on metal. This is a pleasant atmosphere, a place of creativity.

These panoramas were taken while Andy is working on a new sculpture, soon to be unveiled in Castlebank Street, Meadowbank Quay, to mark the regeneration of the Glasgow Harbour development.

See also Arria which stands on the outskirts of Cumbernauld.